Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Very Little Christmas: Fabric Bookmarks

Yeah, you can get bookmarks at the bookstore. Or you could just grab something laying around...but really, where is the fun in that?? I got super excited about these and the best part: they took no time.

These are for my Secret Santa exchange at the office. She loves to read and thought something made is much better than something picked up at a store within our $10 limit.

After some experimentation, I found the finished bookmark should measure about 2.5 inches x 8.5 inches. I always add an 1 inch for seam allowance so the fabric should be cut into strips of 3.5 x 9.5 (so each side will have a .5 inch allowance). I loved mixing and matching all my old fabrics and especially dug the idea to quickly stitch her first initial on one. And you HAVE to top stitch these otherwise they do not lay flat and you lose the more "polished" look.

Practicality was my biggest challenge (as always) and I had to remember these are meant to go between the pages of a book, so less is more.

There is nothing like a project that leaves so much room for creativity and personalization. And I'm thrilled my photos are getting better!


2 comments:

  1. Wow - you ARE crafty! I love the bookmarks and the candied pecans. Those are great gift ideas. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookmarks are such a great last minute gift idea... Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete