Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Veils

Dear Brides-to-Be: Do not buy a veil.

Anyone who has ever stepped foot inside a fabric store knows that tulle retails for about $1 per yard. And anyone who has ever stepped foot inside a bridal salon knows that veils start around $60. I'm not that great at math, but judging from those figures, I'm in the wrong business. And apparently the word "bridal" costs about $50.

So buy your dress and then figure out what length looks best. In my case, the elbow, chapel and finger length veils did not look nice with my dress. I needed either a cathedral length or a short birdcage veil. After a trip to the fabric store and $10 later, I had 5 yards of tulle to play with.

From the silly pics below, you can see I chose the short and opted out of using "french netting" which is material often found on hats (it looks like fishnet stockings only stiff...Reese Witherspoon wore a french netting birdcage veil in Sweet Home Alabama and Katherine Heigl wore one for her own wedding). I just love the very Funny Face feel of the one I made (a must rent...it's like America's Next Top Model of the 60s and Kay Thompson is divine).

If you have to buy your veil go to http://www.etsy.com/ which has lots of different options, all handmade and unique. Please feel free to leave a comment if you need step by step instructions on how to make ANY length or style veil. I assure you, it's not that hard and it will free up $60 to spend on something more fun...like fabulous shoes :) Pictures of those are coming soon!

I'm rewriting the poem: Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, something made with pride by you and a sixpence in your shoe.

HA! English major at work....I doubt my door will be knocked on for a Pulitzer.

No comments:

Post a Comment