Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Honeymoon Craft Time!

My favorite comment on this activity: "You are the only person on earth who would find a honeymoon resort that has craft time."

Truely this was a happy accident. After the wedding of our dreams that consisted of an awesome party (where we happened to get married) the new Mr. and Mrs. Berney got lost in Mexico for a week. We "Berney-mooned" at Pueblo Bonito Resort in Mazatlan and had a delightful time. So before you jump to conclusions and envision me doing silly things like taking along my cross stitching (I seriously considered it), the new hubby happily got involved in said craft time too! He's also a creative soul and while his normal outlet is music, I think he really enjoyed creating some special souvenirs.

By the pool everyday our new amigo, Saul, set up a stand in which he sold "pottery blanks" with predrawn designs (think paint by number sans numbers). Some of them were just silly, like a Batman (Chad really wanted that for our bedroom. I'm a lucky girl I tell you...), some fairies and ashtrays, but there were also cool serving dishes. After we had paid for the pieces and painted, Saul took them home and brought them back touched up, glazed and completely amazing. We were addicted and did not participate once, but twice. It was the perfect activity and great for three reasons:

1. I am a very pale girl and getting ready to spend time in the sun is a lengthy process. It requires 15 minutes of sunscreen application by myself and another person. Then another 30 minutes I have to spend "setting the sunscreen" so as soon as I jump in water it doesn't float away. Many years and many burns have taught me this. And after repeating this time sucking ritual almost everyday, I had enough of the sun. Pottery however, was outside under lovely umbrellas and within ordering distance of the pool bar waiters. The more you drank, the better your pieces looked. It is what my personal heaven would be: Alcohol, a good breeze, some shade and a craft. Oh...and my husband of course.

2. I didn't spend hours bartering and agonizing over all the Mexican pottery that is so beautiful and EVERYWHERE. I think we bought a small bowl, but the pieces we made are so much cooler.

3. I learned to say colors in Spanish! I took French for years...so this was a step towards learning a more useful language: Mas rojo por favor!

Look! He's crafting!

And he's really proud of his work....as he should be. We call him "Mr. Caliente Fish"....the pottery that is.

He really liked him.

This was my first attempt....

And the finished product!

This was my masterpiece.

He's so hot.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Meghan,
    Congratulations on your wedding - the photos look amazing and I really like the mexican pottery you guys made. Hopefully we'll meet up soon either in USA or NZ. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. you two are so frigin gross it makes me sick. i'll be back soon. dont fret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to the happy couple! And, your pottery is gorgeous! My 5-year-old and I go to paint-your-own-pottery places once in a while, and I'm always at a loss for inspiration. Pre-drawn designs are an awesome idea.

    I love your blog, by the way. (Reached it in a roundabout way after seeing your brother's blog; my company supports the organization he was with.)

    ReplyDelete