Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Kentucky Derby Hat

My friend Jenelle: So I'm going to the Kentucky Derby.
Me: HOLY CRAP THAT'S AWESOME. Do you have a hat? (in my mind, you go to the derby BECAUSE you have a hat)
My friend Jenelle: Not yet, I just figured I'd buy one.

Hmmmm, yes. But we can do much, much better.
She brought over her store bought (and very cute) floppy brown hat. She had purchased a large feather bird, some berry sprigs and ombre wired ribbon. I'm Sesame Street Generation, so I believe two heads are always better than one...after brain storming together and some good ol' collaboration, this is what we came up with:












If you would like to learn how to make ribbon leaves, this blog has a good tutorial. The ombre gives such depth to the leaves...I just love it! And the french netting was left over from a veil project which turned out to be the perfect addition.
I think it turned out quite nicely! I'll be sure to post pics of her at the derby once she gets back!

No comments:

Post a Comment