Monday, June 15, 2009

"There are only 2 types of people in this world..."

I like to think of my blog as being a bit like Barefoot Contessa episodes (minus the whole cooking/food thing and the millions she's making in merchandise and book sales)...she always has stories behind her dishes that really, only she finds incredibly interesting and "Jeffrey" her husband is like a pretend person. She's constantly talking about what he loves, funny little anecdotes about their life together, she wrinkles up her nose when his name is mentioned but rarely do you ever actually see him. Sometimes, at the end of an episode, Jeffrey pops onto camera like he's been there the whole time, completely oblivious to the hoopla surrounding his wife.

Like the Barefoot Contessa, I really enjoy being inspired by and making things for my husband. And that's what I did with my latest and greatest craft. And below is my sweet Chadson (my nose is totally wrinkling) playing along with all of my crazy.



So onto the craft....as a birthday gift to Chad, I made something I thought he would enjoy. We've been focusing on some good 2 player games and there is no better 2 player game than checkers! And even better than that I made him a fully customized set...

The "how to" is easy but the "that's awesome" factor hinges on the theme you choose. It really should revolve around an archetypical dichotomy (that was for my mother...see, I learned big words in college!) Example, Chad has never been able to decide if he's a Beatles man or an Elvis man. If you're reading this and don't get the reference, there is a link below to a deleted scene from Pulp Fiction. Enjoy!

I will eventually craft a few more featuring other archetypical dichotomies (I really think I made that phrase up...but I love it): Ballerinas vs. Strong Men, Hippies vs. Suits, Goths vs. Preps, Meghans vs. People Who Make Sense, you see where I'm going with this.

The little wooden men are available in craft stores but are hard to find in large quantities. You need 24 men total and 8 large "kings" for a good game of checkers. The best online retailer I found is here. Get some craft paint and create...don't forget to use a good varnish to seal your teams and give them that glossy "we're gonna win" shine!

For a board, use a piece of 12"x12" wood. The men at Home Depot always look at me like I'm nuts when I ask them for crafting supplies, so don't take it personally. The individual game squares are 1.5" and made out of theme appropriate scrapbook paper...I used some matte medium to collage and then sealed the whole thing with varnish. ModgePodge would also work well.

VERY IMPORTANT: Your brush hairs will come loose and leave themselves forever implanted on your gaming surface. Invest 20 cents in some of those craft sponge brushes and you will not be disappointed. Twenty years from now while your children are playing on your totally awesome handmade game, I will still be picking rogue bristles out from under the coating of my board.


Finally, get a bottle of wine, some snacky poos and your sweet love....let the games begin!

Watch the Pulp Fiction Deleted Scene HERE.

2 comments:

  1. very,very interested your work,I like'it!
    Claudia
    PS: have a look at my "creation":
    http://claudia-imieihobby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god it turned out fabulous. Love Elvis's gold shades.

    But... you can only use that awesome phrase if you learn to spell it. "Dichotomy". Can you use it in a sentence? "Meghan cannot spell dichotomy."

    ReplyDelete