Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Halloween: Make it Original

Last year I did a post about my favorite Halloween costumes that people I know have MADE. I am of the school that for Halloween, regardless of your sewing skills, you do not buy a costume. It's the perfect excuse to come up with a crazy idea and do your best with cheap and creative materials to execute your vision.

So this Halloween I challenge all of you to forgo the ridiculous trip to the crowded and crazy halloween/costume shops. Besides, what are you going to find there? For women it's a bagged costume of every animal imaginable only "sexy." For men, it's the line of inflatable penis jokes or a caveman. One word: LAME.

So please: Just Say No to the Un-imaginative. Even if you don't have mad sewing skills (I'm living proof of that people!) you would be amazed at how far a glue gun, a trip to Goodwill and a little creativity will get you!

Take for example my brother. He is stationed in the Extreme North of Cameroon volunteering to make the world a better place. That's Africa people. It takes him 3 days and a series of motobikes, overcrowded bush taxis and trains to get to a major city....as you can imagine, there is no such thing as a costume store and I'm pretty sure anyone who shows up as a "sexy nurse" would be run out of town.

But in the true creative spirit of this fantastic holiday, he and his fellow volunteers threw a costume party. After sifting through the pictures, I'm amazed! With nothing around but a few local weekend markets, the pictures show a Bunny, a Greek Goddess and my brother, The Castaway complete with Wilson the Loyal Sidekick. Awesome.


So again, I encourage your originality. Take a chance and try to make something with your own two hands. Better yet, get your kids involved and have them try to make something with their own two hands. It's the one day a year you can look ridiculous and get away with it....why not be able to take full credit for it?? Poo poo for PreMade. Hip Hip for Handmade!

1 comment:

  1. eToro is the #1 forex broker for newbie and professional traders.

    ReplyDelete