Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Life Lesson, Full Circle

I remember in elementary school being handed a worksheet with a very basic outline of a house and TONS of directions. The worksheet instructed us to read everything first, then move on to the lengthy list of things to embellish the house outline with.

I, of course, glazed over the directions and onto drawing a fancy tree, a slick car, some flowers (tulips I remember), making the left top window red, putting a cat in the bottom right window, etc. Not only was I dead set on having the BEST house, I was going to have it in the fastest amount of time....Go Me!

The final instruction was "If you've gotten here and your house is in its original state, congratulations: You successfully completed this exercise." Meaning of course, they were serious when they said to read the instructions all the way through before doing anything else.
Meghan Fail.
I always hoped they would give me the same assignment again as the second time around, I would not let it trick me. I would read everything through and by the end of the worksheet, I would have aced it. But we were never asked to try again....but it never came back. However my inability to read directions/descriptions/anything that requires an attention span rivaling that of a goldfish.

I love to order fabric online. Often the prices are unbeatable, especially at Fabric.com, my favorite. And you can get designer fabrics which are to die for, better quality, etc. Also, you don't have to drive to 6 places for 1 project....it's all right there at the tip of your fingers. So I got some tulle rolls, some lace, a few odds and ends for upcoming projects including a little red vinyl for a "Seattle Girl" doll I wanted to do. She's going to have a red raincoat. So imagine my suprise when this shows up at my door:

Yep...it is very important to look at the WIDTH measurements of the fabric you're buying. Little did I know the kind of vinyl I was getting...I was thinking rain slicker material in a 45" width. Fabric.com was thinking picnic table covering and wondering why in the world I would only want 1/2 a yard in 108" width. And I got "cotton shirting" which is actually a poly blend. And the blue fabric with sweet little bouquets, is blue fabric with sweet GIANT bouquets. Whoopsie.


I think I can make it all work. After all, how much fun is it to get these kinds of goodies in the mail???!!! As much fun as it is to have the prettiest, most decked out picture of a house in the entire class.
Meghan fail...but a delightful fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment