Sunday, July 29, 2012

DIY Magnetic Fridge Gallery

Let's be honest....I do not pretend that HGTV will walk into my house and find it perfect and ready for a photo shoot.  I LOVE dreaming of having a home like the ones they feature, but I just don't know that I will ever have that.  Instead, I surround us with things we love (which a lot of people on HGTV do, but they all love things that are white and only from a department store).  We also inherit things and sometimes, those things are not catalog-tastic.  But that's what makes our home ours.


Take, for example, my appliances.  They're black, they're not what I would have chosen, they came with our house, and they aren't going anywhere.  Our fridge is also a Hoovervillesque collection of magnets from my husband's life before Meghan, my life before Chad and our awesome life together.  Some believe strongly in a fridge free from magnets, cards, photos and clutter...but we just aren't those people.  In fact, I have found that I'm quite attached to most of these little pieces of memory.


What's a gal to do?  Because this....well, this is just beyond awful.



I just couldn't part with all my little hobo pieces of magnetic memory, only to stare at an ugly blank black fridge.  Instead, I got resourceful.  Taking a collection of mismatched frames, ditching the glass and backs...I had a few interesting and detailed frames to make magic with.


Enter some spray primer, Krylon spray paint in Catalina Mist, E6000 and some magnets from the craft store, I got to work.  Hubby helped me paint the frames a color that was inspired by a set of amazing Anthro plates. Note....when you spray paint, paint on something that doesn't move or blow around in the wind (like not a garbage bag...seems obvious, but we had some initial difficulty with that concept).  My new spracy paint backdrop is a large piece of styrofoam left over packaging from a piece of furniture.


After the frames dried, I took out all of the little metal bits on the back.  None of them were hard to remove with a pair of needle nose plier and jewelry cutters (an OLD pair I had previously destroyed snipping off vintage earring backs) and it ensured that my gallery of frames would sit correctly on the fridge.  Attach your magnets with a tiny bit of E6000.  Let them dry overnight to ensure the magnets stick to the frames and not just the fridge.  Also, if any of your frames are heavy, like mine, I found two magnets did the trick: one magnet glued on, and one or two more attached (via their magnetic little selves!) on each of the corners worked brilliantly.


And now...I have introduced negative space into our magnetic mementos.  And it's MUCH better.



Each frame is a little art collage.  I have one that holds a very special combination of a magnet showing a 1930s view of the ballroom in which we were married paired with a magnet I found that is the exact vintage cake topper I borrowed for our wedding cake.  I have one devoted to Chad's magnetic musical collection.  There's one for our favorite team and one for our favorite place.





It's sweet, quirky, and fun.  And a HUGE face lift for that ugly black appliance!



Another awesome thing...every piece is moveable.  I fully intend to have a constant rotation of interesting things, with our without the approval of HGTV!

6 comments:

  1. there should definitely be a pic of me and t.j. on that fridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I'll have to keep this in mind when I'm clearing out old frames.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea - might have to do this myself at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like this idea! We need it at my house. Can't wait for the show Collection Intervention to debut--need lots of ideas for showing off my paper memories. This would be a great idea for them to pick up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read your tutorials and I cannot wait to try some! You are quite talented!

    ReplyDelete