Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Diplomat Dress - Simplicity 1878 Review

I haven't sewn anything for a while.  Since the Great Coat Fail of 2008 and the burn out I experienced from doing an entire sewn product booth at Merry Market in 2010, I decided to give it a rest.  I especially stopped wanting to make my own clothes.  But then, I met Lisette.

Come on.....how CUTE is this line of patterns??  And they all looked simple enough.  And this dress, the Diplomat Dress, is 100% to blame.  I want to wear nothing else, ever.


First, it's seasonless.  Second, it will look good on a chubby gal, like me.  Third, it's just bloody cute.  So back down the sewing bunny hole I go.

I bought some really cute Michael Miller elephant fabric to make a football season dress with (Roll Tide), but didn't want to cut into it and find out the pattern didn't fit me or was horrible or something.  So instead, I tried it out with this pagne my brother brought back from Africa.  The pattern is really cute, and who doesn't love hot pink, kelly green, and navy together?

Good news!  The pattern is awesome.  It required very little altering but it is SHORT.  I need to remember to cut a little extra length when I do it again.  The only other issue is that I jacked up the neckline notch. But you can't even tell and I'll do better when I try it again with my elephant fabric.


I wear it with leggings, a cardi, and some fun hot pink bubble jewelry.  It's a little blurry, but you get the idea.  I told you it was short!



I ordered another Lisette pattern now that I know they're easy to follow and clear.  Looking forward to a few new fall choices!

2 comments: